Friday 2 March 2012

March Calendar Challenge and Rocking your World Friday


My Rocking your world post is after the calendar challenge photos-thanks!

Hello! Its March already, how is that possible? The weeks just seem to be flying by.


Here is my completed page for February



                          

And here is my March page. I used Dylusions paints and sprays, crafters workshop stencils and stamps and I drew the girl in the corner. I am still keeping with the theme of a positive statement or affirmation for each month, that way I can read it everyday when I fill my day in! I don't know who to credit with these wise words but know they are used a lot in Reiki and yoga.
Why don't you pop over to Kates blog and have a look at everyone elses calander pages?




Hello, Friday Rockers!
Time again to find the positives for the week and I must say by doing these posts every week I am finding it easier and easier to see the positives in my life. Things I probably would have missed before in the chaos of everyday life are now easier to see and appreciate.

* On Saturday we had a film night as Blockbuster had sent us some free vouchers. My daughter was at a sleepover so Stu, Caleb and me watched Captin America and Change up and had popcorn and Jellybeans!

* On Sunday it was my sisters birthday so the whole family went to a lovely little village pub for lunch and then back to mine for birthday cake.

*On Monday I bought a new purple diary for work, I have had my eye on it for a while but couldn't really justify it but on sunday the closure strap on my old one broke so I thought what the hell! Not very interesting for anyone else but I love purple and I love stationary and I spent a happy hour re arranging the pages and filling things in! (Sad,..?probably!) 

* On Tuesday I had the dentist for root canal treatment...you are probably wondering why this is on my rocking list?! Well, only a few months ago I was so terrified of going to the dentist. My husband had to have time off work to take me as I just couldn't get the courage to actually get there by myself,  I would hyperventilate in the waiting room and then when I actually got in the chair I would just start crying and my whole body would just shake, so much so that my legs would not hold me up when I got out of the chair! Then my sister started working as a receptionist at a new dentist's in town and I managed to get on their books. I was put with a lovely woman dentist and my sister explained to her how terrified I was when I went for my first check up. My sister was allowed to come in with me and hold my hand and the dentist was so understanding. She told me she wouldn't do anything that day but look in my mouth and before she did any treatment I could just come in every week and sit in the dentist chair to get used to it. I have had several appointments now and each time she has been so gentle. I managed to get to the dentists on my own on tuesday and even though my sister still came in and held my hand I didn't cry this time. The dentist managed to complete the root canal treatment and although I was still quite shaky in the chair and had to sit down in the waiting room for 10 minutes afterwards to calm down,I didn't feel anything and have had no pain afterwards. This is a huge achievment for me, so my lovely dentist (that is not a phrase I ever thought I'd say!) has rocked my world this week.

*On wednesday we had a really lively womens health session at the friendship group. I invited sexual health in to talk to the women aout the importance of smear teats and breast screening amongst other things. Because of some of the womens cultures this can be a sensitive subject and many women don't attend for their smear tests. The two women that came to talk were great fun and the big blue penis in the contraception kit ensured lots of hilarity and left everyone feeling relaxed about talking about sensitive issues!

*On thursday we spent some time at the friendship groups new allotment. We have just taken this on as part of our culture kitchen project and are looking forward to growing our own food to use in cooking sessions with different groups around the Island. The sun was shining yesterday and it was really warm and just so nice to be able to see the possibilities of what we can achieve with this allotment.

So, that was my week. Not very interesting but lots of lovely positive moments. Why dont you pop over to Virginias blog and check out everyones rocking posts?
TFL
Sami x

29 comments:

Sherry said...

Your week WAS interesting Sam and I'm glad you've overcome your anxieties with the dentist.

Your two calendar pages are fab - your handwriting (if it is yours and not a stamp) is beautiful. I love your painting of the girl in the corner, so pretty!

Hope you have a lovely weekend too x

Valerie-Jael said...

Your week had lots of good things in it! Love your calendar. Haven't started mine yet, as I was ill all week! Hugs, Valerie

Sharon said...

Love your journal pages! So wish I could draw girls like that, have tried but no it's just not working.x

Carol said...

I love the colours you have used, and you have just drawn around outlines for the days so you can see the background. You got a nice dentist there.

Virginia said...

another amazing week - can I just say well done to you for persevering with the dentist and WTF sister for helping - that is a huge thing that you've managed and I'm so glad you put it on your list - absolutely fantastic stuff!

Loving the look of that cake! I hope you sister had a great birthday!

Also glad you are enjoying breaking down the barriers of some of the sensitive issues in your women's group, its hard enough dealing with those sorts of things day to day but add in the cultural element and you can see how some critical groups like the one you were involved in really are!!!

I hope you have a beautiful and blessed weekend, I'm loving you find a positive each day it inspired me to number mine this week - I too was surprised at how many I managed if I'm honest - just goes to show how good it is to sit back and be grateful!

Hugs as always

Milla said...

Your March page is beautiful, Sam! The colours are so magical and I love the affirmation (I just took part in a reiki course last weekend so it was nice to spot some of that on your page :) ).
I'm happy that you've had such a positive week! And hooray for overcoming your anxieties with dentists :)

Cath Wilson said...

Wonderful pages - love your bright colours and the positive feel. The girl is brilliant, too x

joanna said...

Hi Sam! Love the colours of your calender pages! This challenge is so much fun :)
joanna

Minxy said...

Loving you funky fun calendar pages.. you asked about the doilies on my page, it is a nellie snellen doily die, and i used my vagabond, hope that answers your question :)

Rosie said...

I LOVE your March colors! Electric blue and purple together are one of my favorite combos. I need to get me some spray inks. I love the effect they have on everyone's pages!

Crafting Queen said...

Love your March pages. Great colours. The stamps I used are SeeD's, Papermania, Judikins, PaperArtsy and a couple I don't know. If you want to know a specific one let me know.

Amy O'H. said...

Fantastic journal calendar pages! Love you use of colors and how they blend. The phrase on the February is wonderful.

Mandy Makes and Mends said...

Love your pages the colours are great ans the girl you drew is fab the words I think may be used also at aa not that I go but I used the quote once in an album and was told its the aa prayer .....I don't think they wrote it though ....fab work looking forward to use April x

krisandkreate said...

Absolutely stunning pages Sam. Love the girl, the flowers, the colours ... love everything!!! What a credit you are to Dyans range.

Sarah said...

Loving your calendar pages, your immense bravery with the new dentist, and the mental image of a giant blue penis in a box :D

Anonymous said...

Sam, I love both your pages, the beautiful lettering and the positive quotes, it's all lovely.
Big love
AJ

Joanna said...

Not very interesting?! It's a brilliant list of positives. I'm so glad you faced the fear with your new gentle dentist, who sounds absolutely WONDERFUL!

Your March calendar pages are so lovely, the colours are fab and the girl with the affirmation quote is gorgeous.

Well done, girl.

xx

K said...

A HUGE well done for seeing the dentist. I suffer from anxiety attacks so know how debilitating they can be, you should be VERY proud of yourself.
xx
P.S mmmmmmmm, choccy cake!

Creatively yours Fi said...

Love your colours for March! Especially your girl. You've inspired me to paint a girl or two for my April spread :)

Unknown said...

Love your pages and the quotes you used!

Lynette (NZ) said...

I'm loving the effects you are getting on your pages. Very cool

Wildflowerhouse said...

I am enjoying your positive calendars. What a great idea. Your colors are beautiful too.

lena-dailyscrap said...

Looking great! Love the background!

BadPenny said...

Wow your calendar pages are fab !
Hubby had so much dental treatment as child that he is terrified of the dentist but has admitted today he needs to go & sort his teeth out. We are cashing in an endowment policy & put some money to carpets & decoration. He said he needed to get his teeth sorted & I couldn't believe it!!!
As someone who had pre cervical cancer cells & lots of treatment for years, I'm always glad to hear when women get tested. If I hadn't I'd probably be dead.

france papillon said...

what a beautiful page you created for March! absolutely love the colorcombo and the softness of the images you used! sheer yumminess!

laurie said...

i see signs of spring all over that march page! i'm glad you made it through your dentist visit - not one of my faves either. :-)

Sue said...

Hi Sam, I love your pages - your handwriting is amazing. The A4 leaf mas I used is by Creative Expriessions That Special Touch range x

Sandra Hall said...

Gorgeous pages Sam - lovely blended backgrounds and your hand drawn girl is fab! Good to see you're part of Virginia's Rocking world :)

Liverpool Lou (Anne) said...

Hi Sam, on the contrary I found this an extrememly interesting post. How wonderful that you've been able to overcome or are overcoming your phobia of the dentist.
I love your journal pages, both months are gorgeous colours :-)
Anne x