Friday 18 May 2012

Rocking your world friday


Hello Friday Rockers! I did not manage to post last week so this is a bit of a mish mash of all my gratefuls over the last two weeks.
 So, in no particular order...

* Making dreamcatchers with friends on Monday night. I love our 'craft' evenings together, so far we have made spirit dolls, sea glass mobiles and now these beautiful dream catchers.
 * My new art book 'Mixed Media Girls' by Suzi Blu arrived last week. I have enjoyed having a good read and there are some good tips for drawing faces and how to blend the colours on the face. There are also techniques for adding texture, collage etc and there is a DVD with it which I have not had time to watch yet. Overall I am pleased I bought this book.

* My new Prismacolor pencils. Wow, these are expensive aren't they??? Suzi uses these in her book to blend the face colours together so I went on line to have a look at them and could not believe the price of the sets. The smaller sets did not have the colours I needed and I could not afford to buy a bigger set, but, YAY, I found a site that sells them individually for £1.05 a pencil-still a bit pricey but I just bought the few colours I needed for the faces. They blend beautifully so I am pleased I got them.


* This is how my fairy is progressing at fairy club, I think it's going to be a long process but I am so grateful to be included in this club with a wonderfully amazing teacher and a great group of people that I don't care if it takes forever!


 * Above are a couple of photos of a little art doll I made with the clay faces that Sherry sent me last week. Its a bit basic but I think shes sweet! I am going to add some beads to her dragonfly body. Thank you Sherry!

* I went to a new meditation group with Paige on Tuesday. Neither of us knew anyone there and didn't know what to expect but everyone was lovely and the teachers were really good. I am looking forward to going again.

* I spent last Saturday with Paige rummaging through charity shops for clothes that we can alter for a new project. I also went in the crystal shop and bought a new crystal. Had a fun day just browsing and keeping my mind off work issues.

* I am very grateful to Paige's wonderful Hubby Trav who spent all of Sunday sorting my computer out. My computer has been on death watch for a while and Trav managed to get me a reconditioned one (just the tower) for £45 and then spent all day transferring stuff from the old one to the new one. Also on Sunday I used my 'pimping' money (the stud fee I got for Oakley) to buy a netbook so that I can actually sit in the frontroom with the kids and be online instead of always being shut away in my craft room. The kids can use it aswell if I am working on the main computer and they want to browse or do homework. It was a bit of a luxury and I am not sure if I really needed it but I wanted to spend the pimping money on a treat rather than putting it away and then it getting spent on bills. So Travis also sorted the netbook out for me because I had to be able to use it straight away!!

* I had my pair journal back from Sue and I love what shes done with it. I am really enjoying taking part in this now I have got over my nerves about working in someone else's book and adding to their work. I am also loving reading all the posts and seeing all the amazing art on the Collabor-ART blog.

* On Wednesday at the friendship group we had a lady in from 'Get Sorted' which deals with drug and alcohol abuse, mainly in young people. She gave us a really good talk about the dangers, signs to look out for and that sort of thing. It prompted to me to have a really good chat with my kids about the dangers of drugs. I know my kids are good kids, they are sensible, responsible etc but even I was surprised at HOW responsible their views were on drugs. They seemed to know a lot more than I thought and both were really adamant that they would never touch them. We talked about peer pressure and the confidence to say no and I was really impressed with their grown up attitudes.




* And finally I will leave you with a couple of photos from the friendship groups new project-Culture Kitchen-which helps spread cultural awareness through ethnic cooking. Some of the ladies went and provided a session of the culture kitchen to staff at the IW College on their staff training day. Feedback from the staff was excellent and we have been asked when we can do it again! I am so proud of these ladies!

Well, that's it for me, I'm off to link this up with our host of rocking Friday's, Virginia over on her blog.

Sami x

8 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Sounds like your week was tasty, you had fun, you met up with nice peeps - lovely! Have a great weekend, Too! And be proud of your great Kids! Valerie

Virginia said...

Fabulous summing up of two weeks hun, love your fairy - absolutely amazing work! Also love all your craft items, wish we had a meditation group near here - could really do with one! Your days out loving in Charity shops sound awesome, how fabulous of Paige's hubby to sort your PC out - how great is that - here's to great friends!

Hugs

Joanna said...

I LOVE your little Art Doll, she's so sweet! Your fairy is coming along beautifully, she's going to be a stunner :o)

Charity shop rummaging is always high up on my list of things I like doing, and it's always fun to do with a good friend.

Glad your computing issues look like they're sorted, hooray for Trav!

Have a great week,

xx
ps those photos of your ladies friendship group are SO happy.

AJ said...

Hi Sam, I'm glad all is well with you, I always love reading your posts with all that positive energy. Your fairy aleady looks fabulous, it's going to ge great when it's finished.
Big love
AJ :-)

Carmen said...

Another great post Sam :)

Sounds like the netbook was a good buy.

Loving both your dolls, they are fabulous as well as your dream catcher. These craft evenings sound so much fun!

We had a good charity shop rummage this week but ours are getting so expensive, a lot of the stuff is cheaper to buy new.

Hope you have another great week this week x

Sarah said...

eeek I've just realised I still haven't checked out all last week's Friday posts....and it's Friday already again!

better catch up quick before the new wave hits :)

First off – I love your dreamcatcher – were they easy to make? Like easy enough that a 13 year old boy could manage one, do you think? My step son has a dream catcher in his room at home that he fully believes stops nightmares (and therefore it does :) ), and maybe he would enjoy making one to put up in the spare room at my house for when he stops over at the weekends….

Your fairy is looking fab so far, and your little dragonfly art doll is so sweet

Not sure if I mentioned last time but I have the same mould that Sherry used to make the clay faces – trouble is I was using mine with friendly plastic once and put the heat gun right on it to melt the plastic – thinking the mould was heat resistant like the Krafty Lady moulds. Big mistake – it all warped out of shape and now all my faces are all disfigured :) They look pretty cool though :)

Well done to Trav sorting out your big computer and I hope you have fun with your little netbook. They are handy for surfing the net and stuff, nice and portable.

And the idea of the Culture Kitchen is making my mouth water :)

Well, I would say 'have a great week' but it's already over, so I hope you HAD a great week!

Sherry said...

Sorry I haven't visited you earlier Sam - I love what you did with the clay face - your art doll is beautiful! Your fairy is coming along wonderfully too.

Good for you spending your 'pimp' money on a treat, you deserve it and if all the family can use the netbook too, then it's win all around!

Hope you have a lovely weekend and that the sun continues to shine :)

Paige said...

Where have I been??? I've missed so much on your blog!!! I'll put it donw to having the pups running about and then being busy ;) I'm loving our craft evenings and the things we are making! I think we need another one soon! It's fairie club tonight so hopefully we can both crack on with a little more face forming. Hope the computer is still running ok? if not borrow the old man again anytime ;) Px